Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary was established in October 1998 to care for orphaned chimpanzees that have been rescued by the Uganda Wildlife Authority. Many of the chimpanzees were rescued from poachers and are unlikely to survive reintroduction to the wild.
Ngamba Island is 100 acres (approximately 40 hectares) of rainforest situated a short boat ride (23 km) away from Entebbe, near the Equator in Lake Victoria, Uganda. It supports a rich diversity of natural wildlife and provides a variety of natural foods for the chimpanzees.
The island is set up as an eco-friendly project with compost toilets, rainwater collection, proper waste management practices and solar energy for electricity and hot water.
The Sanctuary is a non-profit organisation which is co-ordinated and managed by the Chimpanzee Sanctuary & Wildlife Conservation Trust. CSWCT is a partnership with six organizations committed to the welfare and conservation of wildlife. The Trustees are:
The sanctuary is open all year round to visitors who pay a nominal entrance fee to view one or both of the chimpanzee feedings. Day and overnight visits (staying in luxury tents) are available and can be booked through the booking agent, Wild Frontiers Uganda.
Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary lake Victoria
Ngamba Island is now open to visitors all year round and has become one of the must-visit tourist destinations in Uganda.
1 Day Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Experience package has been developed to provide a quick but satisfactory chimpanzee experience for those that due to several factors can not do full chimpanzee tracking in the traditional big game safari in national parks.
We offer 2 Chimpanzee experiences to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary in a day. These two target the two pre-arranged supplementary feeding of the chimps at 9.00am and 3.00pm. They are the most exciting times to watch the chimpanzees as they graple for food and do lots of amusing staff.
The departure time for the 9.00am Ngamba Island Chimp experience is at 7.30am while that of the 3.00pm experience is at 11.00am (this could vary depending on your location). You select which of the two departure times you find convenient for the trip.
Ngamba island chimpanzee sanctuary day trip Highlights
Cruise to Ngamba Island from the Lake Victoria shores at Entebbe by speed boat.
Watch the Chimpanzees during feeding.
Interact with the Chimps - feed them, walk them, carrying them (not guaranteed).
Ngamba Forest Walk.
Watch birds around the island and Lake Victoria.
Endless views of the Lake Victoria Water.
Ngamba island chimpanzee sanctuary Itinerary
You shall be picked-up from any place you deem convenient be it your residence by our driver. The pick-up time is either 7.00am or 11.00am depending on the chimp experience session you have chosen.
You shall be driven to Entebbe at the shores of Lake Victoria where you will join others going for the chimp experience. It is here that you shall be briefed by a guide.
It is at the shores that the Ngamba Island speedboat picks you and takes you to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary for the chimp experience. The chimpanzee experience takes only one hour (this is Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary regulation not ours).
After this memorable chimpanzee experience the speedboat shall then bring you back to the shores where you shall reunite with your driver who shall then drive you back to your place of pick-up.
NOTE: Before driving back you shall be taken to a nice place for your lunch (for morning session only) and refreshments (for the afternoon sessions only).
Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary Rates and Prices
$220 per person
The price given will include:
Transportation - safari vehicle, driver and fuel.
Lunch if morning session, only refreshments for the afternoon session
The price does NOT include:
Gratitude and tipping.
Curio shop purchases, phone bill and other personal expenditure not included in the Itinerary.
Reservations and Bookings
Please endeavor to book at least 1 day before the trip to give us ample time to organize for the transport and entry requirements. Reservations and bookings can be done through the form at the contact us page, or send us an email, give us a call or through our online support system at the side panel. Also include the number of people that you are coming along with as this is a determinant in the costing.
What to bring to the 1 Day Chimp Expereince at Ngamba Island
Binoculars for those that may be interested in birding
Relatively light clothes
Born Free Foundation
International Fund for Animal Welfare
Jane Goodall Institute
Uganda Wildlife Education Centre
Environmental Conservation Trust of Uganda (ECOTRUST)
Uganda Wildlife Society
- Travellers are supposed to reach Entebbe on the tour starting day before 8 am and leaving from the same airport at the end of the tour after 8 pm.
- If these times can't be respected then 1 or 2 days should be calculated for the overnight in Kampala.
- Children under 12 years of age are not allowed to see chimpanzees.
- Kibale NP offers small walks of 1 or 2 hours followed by creative activities.
- Gorilla trekking is not allowed to anyone under 15 years of age.
- Prices for private safari. No extra passengers added.
- All prices are VAT included.
- Prices are in United States dollars (USD).
- Gorilla permits are available booking at least 6 months before the departure date.
Terms and conditions
- At the time of booking a deposit of the 60% of the total amount is due.
- Bookings must be made at least 60 days before the date of departure.
- Steady Safaris Ltd reserves the right not to accept bookings made less than 60 days prior the date of departure.
- Full payment has to be made not less than 30 days before the departing date of the tour.
- If the full amount is not paid in due time, Steady Safaris Ltd reserves the right to treat the booking as cancelled.
- Cancellations: 60 days prior to departure date of the tour, full refund of deposit; between 60 and 30 days, refund of 50% of deposit; less than 30 days, no refund. Gorilla permits are non-refundable.
- Please note the gorilla tracking in this itinerary can be done in Rwanda as well if permits/Accommodation can't be got in Uganda at the time of your booking.
- Gorilla tracking is dependent on the permits availability at the time of your booking.
- Gorilla permits in all parks are on a very high demand and we advise that you book them as early as possible
- If you would like more information the pricing of the above safari, please get in touch by clicking on the contact us below
A Safari for most, is a once in a lifetime experience – we understand – we listen – we assist you in designing that Safari in magical Uganda that is beyond your expectation.